Please help.

I am training to do a one-day 28.3 mile hike in support of children's cancer research -- and I plan to do the entire hike BAREFOOT! Please SPONSOR ME in the Ultimate Hike and help support this great cause. Thanks!

Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Carabiner Campaign

Did you get one of these carabiner keychains?  Please read on...

It's not uncommon while I'm out hiking the trails or walking around town for passers-by to stop me and inquire about my bare feet.  It occurred to me that I could use these opportunities to spread the word about the Ultimate Hike and CureSearch

I had considered getting business cards made but ultimately decided to get some carabiner keychains printed with this blog address so I could hand them out to people who showed interest in learning more.  They're easy to clip-on and carry, even if you're on the trail when we meet.  They're useful to hikers and non-hikers alike and there's no paper waste.  And when you get home the carabiner will be there, visible, reminding you to go on-line and find out more about the crazy barefoot lady who's doing that really long hike to help fund childhood cancer research.

The down-side is that the carabiners are much more expensive than business cards.  The cost is coming out of my own pocket, not from any of the funds donated to CureSearch.  The good folks at PromotionalProductsOnline.com provided me a discount on the carabiners since they are for charity but they are still a significant cost to me.  It is a risk.  I could have donated the cost directly to the cause.  My hope is that the carabiners will generate far more funds for CureSearch than the price I paid for them.

Please help make my "Carabiner Campaign" successful.  If you're here because you accepted one of my carabiners, please consider sponsoring me in the Ultimate Hike by making a donation.  Look at the great work CureSearch is doing.  See how highly rated they are as a charity.

Consider that a carabiner keychain similar to the one I gave you would cost you $5 to buy at REI.  Perhaps you can donate $5 today?  Perhaps more?

Childhood cancer remains the leading cause of death by disease among children in the United States. Every day, 42 children are diagnosed with cancer and the average age of diagnosis is 6. Cancer affects all ethnic, gender, and socio-economic groups and more than 40,000 children undergo treatment for cancer each year.

All types of childhood cancers combined receive only 4% of federal funding for cancer research.  Pharmaceutical companies allocate almost no funds toward childhood cancer research because childhood cancer drugs are not profitable.  This is why private organizations like CureSearch are so important to finding a cure for childhood cancers.

Whether or not you choose to donate, I thank you for stopping by and learning more.  Make good use of the carabiner -- and walk around barefoot every once in a while to feel like a kid again!

Peace,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment