Please help.

I am training to do a one-day 28.3 mile hike in support of children's cancer research -- and I plan to do the entire hike BAREFOOT! Please SPONSOR ME in the Ultimate Hike and help support this great cause. Thanks!

Friday, April 18, 2014

Long Hike: 11.25 miles at Bond Park

Bridge on the Lake Trail
I haven't done a true long hike since before vacation so it was long past due.  I went to a local park yesterday for a solo hike and covered a total of 11.25 miles, my longest distance ever.  I carried a 12 pound pack for the first 8 miles then dropped off the pack before finishing the last loop.  The weather was fabulous for hiking, sunny and mid 60s (°F).  There were lots of birds and flowers along the path, reminding me that despite the recent drop in temps that it's finally spring.  Enjoy the pictures.

Sunshine on the creek

Love the color of this feather found on the trail

The lake in the background

Azaleas in bloom

Considering whether to go for a swim.

The path winding along the lakeside

Pretty wild flowers

A few ducks around the kayaks and canoes

Beautiful blue spring sky

Taking flight


My special gift from a sweet young boy
Near the end of my hike I came across a young boy about 2 or 3 years old out with his father.  The boy was running joyfully through the park.  I smiled at them and the boy ran straight up to me as if he had known me all his life.  He held out his hand to show me an acorn cap he was holding.  He said something that I'm sure was incredibly important though not quite decipherable to my ears.  I smiled and commented encouragingly.  He made it clear that he wanted to give the acorn cap to me.  I took it gratefully and told him how special it made me feel that he wanted to share this gift with me. 

Peace,
Karen

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete